How to get to Athens Throwdown 2022 venue, the best hotels for your accommodation, and the nearby activities you should not miss!
Athens Throwdown 2022 is over. Click here for the Athens Throwdown 2023 guide.
The Athens Throwdown is the most significant event for CrossFit athletes in Greece and one of the largest in Europe.
If you are visiting Athens for the games, here is everything you need to know:
- The Athens Throwdown was organized for the first time in 2015. It consists of online qualifiers and live finals in the individual event. Conversely, in the team event, the teams compete directly in the finals.
- The online qualifiers take place every year between January 15 and 31. About 2,000 athletes from all over the world are participating in seven different age groups.
- The final live phase of the event takes place every April-May and lasts for three days: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The exact dates vary each year and depend on the dates of Orthodox and Catholic Easter. Athens Throwdown 2022 finals will take place on May 6, 7, and 8.
- The participation of the athletes in the online qualifiers costs about 25 euros. The individual athletes who qualify for the finals have to pay an additional 65 euros. On the other hand, the teams consist of three people with the participation of each athlete costing about 70 euros. The above prices include all taxes and fees.
- As a spectator, you can buy either a daily or a three-day ticket. The price for the daily ticket is 8 euros, while the three-day ticket costs 20 euros. However, you can also find early bird tickets for 15 euros for the three days. It’s a pretty reasonable deal if you consider the venue and the non-stop action from 8:00 in the morning until 21:00 each day. You can get your tickets on Athens Throwdown official website.
- In addition to the games, there is also a sporting products exhibition inside the stadium. At the same time, you will find a restaurant with quality local food. Do not forget to try coffee freddo espresso and Greek yogurt with strawberries -you are in Greece after all.
Athens Throwdown 2022 Venue
The event’s venue is the Taekwondo & Handball Olympic Stadium.
It was built for the Athens Olympic Games in 2004 and is located in the Palaio Faliro area, by the sea. It’s close to the city center and easily accessible both by public transport and by car.
How to Get from Athens Airport to the Stadium
Τhere are four different ways to get from the airport to the Athens Throwdown 2022 venue; bus, metro, taxi, and car.
1) By bus. As soon as you pick up your luggage and proceed to the airport’s exit, you will notice the multiple exit gates.
The bus stops are located at Gate 5. Therefore, the most suitable bus to go directly to the venue is the X96 Athens Airport Express – Peiraias.
You will get off at Gephyra Station, and the stadium is less than a 10-minute walk away.
The journey takes about 1.5 hours, and the ticket costs 5.5 euros. Moreover, in contrast to the metro, buses operate 24 hours a day.
2) By metro and tram. There are many different ways to get from the airport to the stadium using the metro and tram.
Here I mention my favorite; as soon as you leave the airport, follow the subway signs.
You will have to use the blue line to Monastiraki stop (16 stops), then the green line to Faliro (6 stops), and finally the tram to Delta Falirou (4 stops).
The journey takes about 1.5 hours, and you get off just off the stadium.
You can use the Regular Athens Metro Airport ticket (9 euros), the 2-way Athens Metro Airport ticket (16 euros), or the 3-day tourist ticket (20 euros).
The last option is the best if you plan to use public transportation during your stay in Athens.
It includes a 2-way Airport Travel fare, and it is also valid for 72 hours for all public transport means.
Taxi or Car
3) By taxi. The taxi station is located outside gate 3.
The journey takes about 45 minutes, and the cost is around 50 euros, depending on traffic.
However, I recommend you pre-book your taxi with a service like Welcome Pickups to avoid the hassle.
They offer a flat rate of 55 euros, use only top-rated drivers, and have numerous positive reviews on TripAdvisor and Trustpilot.
Also, keep in mind that up to 3 passengers can board, at no extra charge.
4) By car. If you plan to rent a car, the easiest way to rent one is to pick it up at the airport.
In the Athens Airport Car Rental guide, you can find all the necessary information on where to pick up your vehicle and what to look out for when you drive in the city.
Your Daily Transportation
Your daily commutes largely depend on where you choose to stay.
The area around the venue is very safe, so if you stay close, you can go and come on foot.
If you stay in the city center, it is better to use public transport. Right in front of the stadium, there is the Delta Falirou tram stop which is very convenient.
Alternatively, you can always rent a car. There is parking at the stadium, and a car will be handy if you want to visit nearby beaches.
There are several activities to be involved within walking distance of the Athens Throwdown 2022 venue.
The first choice is Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC).
Here you will be able to wander in the unique Stavros Niarchos Park, the new facilities of the National Library of Greece, and the Greek National Opera. Moreover, several food and drink service points operate daily to add to your visit.
You can easily spend three-four hours in the surrounding area.
Your second choice is Flisvos Marina.
It features a variety of shops, restaurants, and cafés, making it ideal for a relaxing walk by the sea; do not forget to grab an ice cream or an iced coffee for your stroll here, like the locals use to do.
In addition, you will find international chains such as TGI Fridays and Haagen Dazs, as well as local restaurants.
Nearby there is also one of Athens best Open Air Cinemas, “Cine Flisvos”, to enjoy a movie under the night sky.
Extend your stay in Athens
You can always combine Athens Throwdown 2022 with a trip to the 2.500 years old city of Athens.
So, if you want to extend your stay, you can always use the step-by-step itineraries to plan your visit effortlessly.
The “How Many Days In Athens?” guide will help you decide how many days you should spend in the city.
Make Your Trip Easier
I always book my accommodation with a reliable service like Booking.com. Besides their price guarantee, you can rest assured that you will have 24/7 support in the event of any problems with your hotel. Always make sure you read reviews from other guests before booking.
If you want to get to and from Athens Airport with peace of mind, I recommend pre-booking your taxi with Welcome Pickups. Their flat rate is a few euros more expensive than random taxis, but they are totally worth it. They use local English-speaking drivers, wait for you at the arranged meeting point, even if your arrival is delayed, and introduce you to the city along the way.
Don’t forget to use Skyscanner before booking your flights as it compares different airlines to provide the cheapest and fastest solutions. Moreover, you can save a lot of money if you are flexible with your dates.
Nobody wants to think about all the things that could go wrong on a trip. However, these things can happen, so do not miss taking out travel insurance: SafetyWing is the one I use, as its plans are affordable and can save you a lot of trouble.
Sunny Athens is reader-supported. Some of the links above may be affiliate links for which I may receive compensation if you click, at no cost to you. This does not influence my evaluations. Learn more in Advertise Disclosure.